International Day of Eradication of Poverty: Supporting Warrington Foodbank
As we observe the International Day of Eradication of Poverty on October 17th, 2023, we are reminded of the urgent need to alleviate poverty and improve lives in our community. Warrington is no exception, and this day serves as a call to action to address poverty in our region and rally behind the Warrington Foodbank. On this International Day of Eradication of Poverty, let’s remember that charity begins at home, right here in Warrington!
Supporting Warrington Foodbank: A Year-Long Commitment Towards Eradicating Poverty
In a world where wealth disparities persist, this day is a poignant reminder of the pressing need to address poverty in our communities. As an organisation dedicated to making a difference, we have committed to supporting Warrington Foodbank throughout this year, standing in solidarity with those affected by poverty.
Understanding Poverty in Warrington
Poverty affects individuals and families in numerous ways, including their ability to meet basic needs like food, shelter, and healthcare. In Warrington, as in many parts of the UK, fuel poverty is a concerning aspect. It occurs when households spend a significant portion of their income on heating and maintaining an adequate living environment.
The statistics regarding fuel poverty in Warrington are alarming. Many households struggle to afford adequate heating and face energy-related challenges, especially during colder months.
The Role of Warrington Foodbank
The Warrington Foodbank plays a vital role in the fight against poverty in our community. Their mission is to provide emergency food and support to individuals and families in crisis, including those affected by fuel poverty. The Foodbank relies on the generosity of donors, volunteers, and the wider community to carry out their essential work.
How You Can Help
1. Donate Food and Essentials: Donating non-perishable food items and essential supplies to the Warrington Foodbank directly impacts those in need. Items such as canned goods, pasta, rice, toiletries, and more are always in demand.
In general, the following items are often needed (non-food essentials are also accepted):
• UHT milk
• Tinned meat (hotdogs, meatballs etc.)
• Tinned fish
• Tinned fruit
• Sponge/rice puddings
• Coffee (small jars)
• Long-life juice
• Pasta sauce
• Tinned veg (potatoes, carrots, green beans, tomatoes)
• Tinned meals (spaghetti, chicken or veg curries, chilli)
• Tinned soup
• Jam and spreads Non-food items
• Shower gel
• Toilet rolls
• Washing up liquid
• Laundry detergent pods
2. Financial Contributions: Your financial donations go a long way in helping the Foodbank purchase necessary items and manage their operations efficiently. Even a small contribution can make a significant difference.
3. Volunteer Your Time: Offering your time and skills to the Foodbank is a valuable way to directly engage with the community and contribute to the fight against poverty. Volunteer drivers are especially needed to ensure the smooth functioning of operations.
4. Spread Awareness: Raise awareness about the International Day of Eradication of Poverty and the work of the Warrington Foodbank within your network. Encourage others to join the cause and make a difference in the lives of those struggling with poverty.
A Glimpse of Impact: January 2022 to December 2022
– Food Parcel Increase: There was a staggering 216% increase in food parcels, underlining the growing need for assistance.
– Meals Provided: In December 2022 alone, the Warrington Foodbank fed 2,446 individuals, including 1,415 adults and 1,031 children. This equated to an impressive 22,014 meals provided to those in need.
– Surviving on Limited Means: Shockingly, 40% of individuals on Universal Credit had to skip meals to survive, shedding light on the severity of the situation and the imperative need for assistance.
These numbers have only risen since December 2022 and that explains the urgent call for help.
Join Us in Making a Difference
On this International Day of Eradication of Poverty, let’s unite as a community in Warrington to combat poverty and alleviate the suffering of our fellow residents. By supporting the Warrington Foodbank through donations, volunteering, and advocacy, we can make a positive impact and work towards a future where poverty is eradicated, and every individual has access to the resources they need for a decent life. Together, we can be the change we wish to see. Visit their website – (here) for more information and to get involved.
#EradicatePoverty #WarringtonFoodbank #CommunitySupport #tenantsupport