Moving In

Welcome to your new home. In the process of moving, it is quite easy for you to overlook the following arrangements that you need to make. So to help you, we have drawn up the list below as a guideline.

Contact the electricity supplier                  

There are now many companies who supply electric. We suggest you get several quotes before deciding on a supplier. It is important that as soon as you move in you do a meter reading. To find out who the previous supplier was, ring 0845 2709101.

Contact the gas supplier                                

Again there are many suppliers of gas. Again we suggest you get several quotes before you decide which supplier you use.   Please give them the meter reading and the date you moved in. To find out who the previous supplier was, ring 0845 2709101.

Contact the water supplier (united utilities)  

            You can ring them to register for your supply.   If you have a water meter ring 0845 746 2222 and give them a meter reading and the date you moved in. If you do not have a meter ring 0845 746 1111.

Contact the relevant benefits agency            

If you are in receipt of any state benefits you need to contact the relevant agency to inform them of your change of address.   You will then need to follow the instructions of the agency to ensure that benefit continues to be paid e.g. if you move area which office you will need to sign on at. You will find the contact telephone numbers at the top of your benefit award letters. If you are unsure who to ring please contact your landlord.

If you are claiming Universal Credit you will need to report a change in your address in your Universal Credit monthly assessment period that the change took place e.g. if your assessment period runs from the 1st to 31st of each month and you move on the 30th you will need to report the change before your assessment period ends.  

Contact housing benefits and council tax      

If you are already claiming Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support at your current address you need to complete a new application form. We have forms in our office or you can get one from Revenues & Benefits Service, The Contact Centre, Horsemarket St., Warrington or telephone 443210. Please note you need to return the form within ONE WEEK of your tenancy commencement date.

If you are making a new claim for Housing and Council Tax Benefit and are under 65 years old you need to contact the One Section at The Job Centre, Nolan House, 10 Mersey Street, Warrington WA1 2BL – telephone number 785540.

Contact your insurance company                  

WHA only insures the structure of the property and it is your responsibility to insure your contents against theft, flood, fire etc.   WHA does have a tenant’s contents insurance scheme with Norwich Union, whereby you can pay your premium within your weekly rent.   For more information and an information pack please contact us.

Contact your telephone provider                          

This may be BT, Virgin Media etc.

Other agencies

Do remember to contact DVLC if you drive and the tax office if you are working and TV licensing. Also do not forget to inform your employers, bank, GP and dentist of your new address.

You will also find below, further useful information.

Finally, we hope your move goes smoothly and hope you are happy in your new home.

Leaflet – Your Tenancy Agreement in brief

Check List for Moving In

Leaflet – Minimum Lettings standard for empty properties

Sample – Current Tenancy Agreement


“I felt like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders and that I had somebody on my side”

Barbara, WHA resident

“Warrington Housing Association’s Whia service is great, as it helps people stay in their own home, and this is really complimented by the fact that you are then introduced to their other services like the LifeTime centre – which shows they really care for the community they work in.”

Barry and Lynn

“Our home is in a quiet neighbourhood with lovely neighbours – which makes such a difference. But equally, Warrington Housing Association has always been really helpful”

Patrick and Heather, WHA residents

Warrington Housing Association 

Contact Us

Tel: 01925 246810
Fax: 01925 246814

Warrington Housing Association, the Gateway, 89 Sankey Street, Warrington, WA1 1SR